Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Sheltered Life?...


 I sometimes feel like I've led a pretty sheltered life. It just seems as if there's plenty of things I've never seen or done. Not really big adventure type things like go on safari or travel around the world but things that are just ordinary by a lot of people's standards. A lot of people's. I've never flown on a plane. I've never seen the desert. I've never ridden a horse and I've never owned a Harley. But I guess I don't know if sheltered is actually the word that I'm looking for. After all, I grew up gallivanting around the countryside, exploring caves, rivers, forests and spent many a summer skinny dipping  in the the quarry ( forbidden territory by the way ). Me and Jimmie ran the streets for quite a few years usually sneaking out after dark to do so. We actually snuck all the way to St. Louis when we were fifteen and hitch hiked back from Rolla ( 100+ miles ) when the water pump blew on his '57 Chevy. I've snuck off to the movies and snuck into the drive-in ( in the trunk, of course ). Geez, now that I look back I did a lot of sneaking. Well... it wasn't really as bad as it sounds. A lot of my earlier adult years were filled with road trips just to go somewhere and I guess I probably found myself in more "situations" - good and bad - than I care to expand upon. So yeah, sheltered isn't really the word I'm looking for
 There's still plenty of time to do these things if I actually feel the need and it's not as if I've scratched them off of my list. But I guess if I never get around to them that'll be ok too. Because now that I look back I think I had my share of adventures. And really, I think that maybe I've still got a one or two left in me...

No comments:

Post a Comment