Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Barn in the Woods


It was a fairly odd sight. Smack dab in the middle of the woods with no roads or paths for any 4 wheeled type of transportation there it sat. The infamous "barn in the woods". Now,
I'll try to make this story as short as possible. After taking several shots from as many angles I decided to head back to the car. I do realize that I'm an adult but it was a little spooky- in a Blair Witch sort of way. I knew where I was so I took the quicker trail back as it was getting late. Wanting to get one last look at the woods though, I peeled off of the trail for a quick look around. It should have only taken 15 or 20 minutes. Forty five minutes later I'm actually starting to think that I may have to cut right through the brush and head for the sounds of the highway. Funny thing is those sounds were starting to fade and my imagination was starting to grow. I made up this story in my head about the "pull" of the barn and how people went in but didn't come out! Just as I was starting to laugh at myself, out of the corner of my eye there it was - the barn! I'm sure I jerked a major case of whiplash in my neck when I saw it too. Somehow, I'd managed to stumble across that barn a second time, something I'd been unable to do even once in several previous hikes. Once again, I knew where I was and where I needed to go. This time the 15 or 20 minute hike took no more than 5 minutes. No side excursions this time. Well I'm sorry this post got so wordy but I thought that it was a funny story and I don't mind laughing at myself once in a while. I haven't been back to the barn in the woods -at least, not yet. Maybe some bright sunny day...

No comments:

Post a Comment