Sunday, March 7, 2010

Baxter Springs, Kansas


Every now and then I may refer to something or someplace as a "Mayberry" kind of thing or place. Hopefully you understand that this is in no way a slight to this particular thing or place. As a matter of fact it is, in my mind, a very high compliment. (For those that aren't familiar with Mayberry you should Google Mayberry, RFD or Andy Griffith - just to get the whole feel of what I'm talking about.) At any rate I don't know if it's because of the age I am, the life style I used to live or what but I find myself being drawn more and more to places that go at a little slower pace.
Now, don't get me wrong I'm no expert on Baxter Springs but this last weekend my wife and I did get a chance to eat at a very good restaurant there called Cafe on the Route (named for the fact that it sits on the old Route 66) and afterward take a walk in the historic district. I left feeling like I had a pretty good picture of life there in general, or at least hoped that I did, and I liked it! I There's just something about the old buildings and the neon signs that just make you want to hang out there.
Unfortunately we did not get a chance to check out the soda fountain but we did grab a soda pop from the Coke machine in front that still cost only 50 cents. That's what I'm talking about!

No comments:

Post a Comment