Sunday, August 29, 2010

There's Just A Little Hippie In Her...


This evening our neighbor Faith had a treat for us. We had to go for a drive though, to get it. "Not far", she said. So we loaded up and took off. Faith teaches in one of the many rural schools around this part of the state and so she's blessed with a beautiful scenic drive through the countryside every morning on her way to work. Not far was right and after about 20 minutes we arrived at a huge field of sunflowers. What a beautiful sight it was too! Now I'm sure that in other parts of the country a field of sunflowers isn't such a find as this one was but around here it's a rare sight to see. This great big blanket of yellow definitely set itself apart from the rest of the countryside.
Every now and then Faith wants to be a little ornery with me and she'll call me something to the effect of a hippie.( I assume that it has something to do with the length of my hair.) Now I know that a lot of people consider hippies as a dirty unkempt lot. But for the most part, my memories of hippies have always been more of the peace, love, why-can't-we-all-get-along types and that's the way I prefer to remember them so don't try to go and change my mind with any 30-35 year old Time Magazine articles that might point to the contrary.
Anyway my point after all of this is to say that I think maybe Faith may have just a little hippie in herself (whether she likes it or not) because anyone that sees the majesty of a field of sunflowers so much so that feels the need to share it is, well, just a really good soul. Thanks Faith, for the surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment